Saxifraga ferruginea var. macounii
1. Oregon Bolandra Bolandra oregana: Pistil with 2 carpels. 5 stamens present, opposite the sepals. Basal leaves orbicular, incised, the divisions with several acute teeth. 2-4 similar stem leaves present, these with prominent, toothed stipules. Inflorescence a loose panicle. Calyx tube yellow green, wide at the base but contracted towards the mouth. Petals dark purple, lanceolate with sharp points.
2. Northern Golden-saxifrage Chrysosplenium tetrandrum: Pistil with 2 carpels. 4 stamens present. The greenish flowers are inconspicuous and lack petals.
3. Alumroots: The Genus Heuchera - Pistil with 2 carpels. 5 stamens present, opposite the calyx lobes and with one or more imperfectly developed. Inflorescense a panicle or thryse. The calyx is greenish to cream and cup-shaped. Petals entire or partially to completely lacking.
4. Prairie or Woodland Stars: The Genus Lithophragma - Pistil with 3 carpels. 10 stamens present. Styles or style branches are 3. Petals white or pinkish, cut into narrow or irregular lobes or segments. Bulblets often present on the leaf axils or on the underground parts.
5. Mitreworts or Bishops Caps: The Genus Mitella - Pistil with 2 carpels. Stamens 5-10. If 5, then the stamens are opposite or alternate to the calyx lobes. The 5 greenish to white petals are alternate to the 5 sepals. The petals are 3-cleft to comb-like with narrow segments. Calyx 2-4 mm long. Inflorescence a raceme. Flowering stems leafless.
6. The Grass-of-Parnassus Family - Pistil with 4 carpels. 5 stamens present, alternating with the simple to fringed staminodia. The stigma is sessile or nearly so atop the ovary.
7. Saxifrages: The Genus Saxifraga - Pistil usually with 2 carpels (although 3, 4 or 5 are possible). Petals white, yellow, or greenish, occasionally with yellow or reddish-purple spots..
8. Suksdorfias: The Genus Suksdorfia - Pistil with 2 carpels. 5 stamens present, opposite the calyx lobes. Plants containing bulblets at the crown. Stem leaves with prominent, rounded stipules. Flowers white to violet.
9. Fringe Cups Tellima grandiflora: Pistil with 2 carpels. 10 stamens present. Calyx 7-10 mm long and cup-shaped. Petals green, cream or pinkish and usually 5-many lobed. Flower stems leafy.
10. Coolwort/ Foam Flower Tiarella trifoliata var. unifoliata: Pistil with 2 carpels. 10 stamens present. Basal and stem leaves simple, maple-leaf shaped with several lobes. Flowers white, tiny, in a loose panicle. The petals are entire and linear.