March 24, 2008
Cowiche Mill Road
The site studied is found along the South Fork Cowiche Creek which meanders along the north side of Cowiche Mt. to the west of Yakima, WA. The area studied along Cowiche Mill Road runs from the Snow Mt. Ranch westward for a mile or so. No plants were found in bloom past the primitive road sign.
* 1. Yellow Bells: Fritillaria pudica -
* 2. Grass Widow: Olsynium inflatum (formerly Sisyrinchium douglasii var. inflatum) -
* 3. Sagebrush Buttercup: Ranunculus glaberrimus - Fairly abundant.
4. Shining Oregon Grape: Berberis aquifolium - A number of plants within days of blooming.
* 5. Spring Whitlow-grass: Draba verna var. boehaveri - Numerous.
* 6. Bulblet Prairie-star: Lithophragma glabrum (formerly Lithophragma bulbifera) - Beginning to bloom.
* 7. Stony Ground Lupine: Lupinus saxosus - A few plants beginning to bloom.
* 8. Bighead Clover: Trifolium macrocephalum - One plant blooming, a number of others with well-formed flower buds.
* 9. Sagebrush Violet: Viola trinervata - Fairly numerous.
* 10. Canby's Desert Parsley: Lomatium canbyi -
* 11. Columbia Desert Parsley: Lomatium columbianum -
* 12. Fern-leaf Desert Parsley: Lomatium dissectum - A few plants beginning to bloom.
* 13. Barestem Desert Parsley: Lomatium nudicaule -
* 14. Carey's Balsamroot: Balsamorhiza careyana - A few plants beginning to bloom.
* 15. Hooker's Balsamroot: Balsamhoriza hookeri - A few plants beginning to bloom.
* 16. Gold Stars: Crocidium multicaule - Fairly common.
California Ground Squirrels