March 22, 2008
1. Bluebunch Wheatgrass: Pseudoroegneria spicata (Agropyron spicatum) -
* 2. Yellow Bells: Fritillaria pudica - Thousands of yellow bells can be seen crowded together on the lower slopes, although most of these are aging to a rusty red color and are beginning to fade away. Yellow bells near the summit of Selah Butte, although less numerous, are still going strong.
3. Slender Buckwheat: Eriogonum microthecum var. laxiflorum -
4. Thyme-leaf Buckwheat: Eriogonum thymoides -
5. Bitteroot: Lewisia rediviva -
* 6. Sagebrush Buttercup: Ranunculus glaberrimus - Numerous plants, many in large clumps near the summit.
* 7. Hornseed Buttercup: Ranunculus testiculatus - Abundant at lower elevations.
* 8. Bulblet Prairie-star: Lithophragma glabrum (formerly Lithophragma bulbifera) - In bud above, beginning to bloom below 2500'.
9. Wax Currant: Ribes cereum -
* 10. Woolly Pod Milk-vetch: Astragalus purshii - Several plants seen in bloom near the lower BLM boundary along the access road.
11. Bighead Clover: Trifolium macrocephalum - One in bloom, mostly in bud up to about the middle elvation of the butte.
* 12. Sagebrush Violet: Viola trinervata - Fairly numerous. Individuals with dark lower petals, lavender lower petals, white lower petals and pure albino plants were seen. This species has yet to peak at the lower elevations.
* 13. Canby's Desert Parsley: Lomatium canbyi - Fairly numerous, especially at higher elevations.
14. Geyer's Desert Parsley: Lomatium geyeri - Seen in grasslands at the summit.
15. Pungent Desert Parsley: Lomatium grayi - A few seen at all elevations.
16. Biscuitroot: Lomatium macrocarpum - Fairly numerous at low to mid elevations.
17. Nine-leaf Desert Parsley: Lomatium triternatum - Numerous, although plants are much smaller than typical plants seen elsewhere.
* 18. Midget Phlox: Phlox gracilis (formerly Microsteris gracilis) - Beginning to bloom at lower elevations.
19. Low Pussytoes: Antennaria dimorpha - In bud.
20. Big Sagebrush: Artemisia tridentata var. wyomingensis -
* 21. Hooker's Balsamroot: Balsamhoriza hookeri - A few plants beginning to bloom below 2000'.
22. Arrowleaf Balsamroot: Balsamhoriza sagittata ? - A few plants seen with flower buds. Most plants barely have their leaves or flower buds emerged from the ground.
23. Dusty Maidens: Chaenactis douglasii - Basal leaves present.
24. Narrow-leaf Goldenweed: Stenotus stenophylla (formerly Haplopappus stenophyllus) - In bud.
25. False Agoseris: Nothocalais troximoides (formerly Microseris troximoides) - Basal leaves only.
Horned Larks - Numerous.