Galium aparine var. echinospermum
This plant has whorled leaves, meaning the leaves arise from the same place on the stem, but in many directions as seen above. Note also the square stem, and the many velcro-like hairs that make this plant so "sticky".
1. Linear leaves in whorls around trailing square stems.
2. Very small 4-petaled white flower in leaf axils.
3. Both stems and seeds covered with small barbs making them very sticky.
1. This is the coffee family and seeds can be dried and used as a coffee substitute.
2. Early Americans used this vines as a bed padding covered with fern fronds, hense the common name.