The Waterleaf Family East of the Cascade Mts.
Silky Phacelia: Phacelia sericea var. ciliosa
1. The Genus Hesperochiron - Leaves all basal. Leaves all entire. Flowers solitary on long pedicels from base of plant. Plants perennials of moist sites.
2. The Waterleafs: The Genus Hydrophyllum - Leaves basal and on stems. Inflorescence subtending the leaves (except var. thompsonii). Leaves pinnately divided to the midrib. Perennials with fibrous roots.
3. The Genus Nama - Leaves basal and on stems. Leaves all entire. Flowers in axils in axils of stem leaes and often clustered at the tips of branches. Plants annuals of dry, gravelly sites.
4. The Genus Nemophila - Leaves basal and on stems. Flowers clustered to solitary in axils of well-spaced stem leaves.
5. The Genus Phacelia - Leaves basal and on stems. Inflorescence found above the leaves. Leaves entire to pinnately divided to pinnately compound, sometimes cleft to the midrib. Annuals to perennials with taproots.